Thursday, December 8, 2011

We need a little Christmas

Looking for a new, fun way to decorate for Christmas?  Buy a red (or white, or green, or all 3) feather boa!  Cut it up and wrap it in fun places.  I bought one at our old house where I had 3 slim, black shelves on the wall.  I cut lengths for each shelf, took off my regular knick-knacks and replaced them with Christmas-y ones.  It was really cute.  I don't have the shelves anymore, so I improvised with the boa pieces.  I wrapped them around 4 candles on wroght iron stands.  I put them around another candle that's in a bird cage shaped thingie (feathers...bird cage.  Appropriate, right?).  And the last little bit I wrapped around a white flower that I stuck on a lampshade a while back.  BTW...got the white flower at Claire's for $1!
I think feather pieces would be really pretty in the tree too, if you had one of those matchy-matchy trees (which I don't).  How about surrounding a mirror or sticking out behind a picture?  Woven through a metal sculpture?  I think you can get away with more, decorating-wise, when it comes to the holidays.  I mean, you don't want to go OTT (over the top), but you can take some liberties.  For example, I have a picture that I gift wrapped and hung back on the wall for Christmas.  Actually, it's the picture with oranges in it behind the bird cage thingie.  At no other time of year would this be cute, but at Christmas, it just fits.  A little OTT is called for.
I also have an orange and black mixed boa that I bring out in the fall.  I like birdies in my decorating.  I guess feathers were the next logical step!
Go out!  Buy a BOA!  Go CRAZY!  Or at least look for one on sale after the season so you can go crazy next year. ;)



2 comments:

  1. large decorative bird cage should be made in wrought iron or stainless steel. Otherwise you will end up replacing the cage very quickly.Yet the decision often comes down to whether you should purchase a wrought iron bird cage or a stainless steel bird cage. There are many factors when it comes to this decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're wondering whether or not 304-grade stainless steel bird cages are bird-safe, the answer is definite "yes!" In fact, it's the only material used in bird cages these days that I feel 100% secure about putting my bird in.

    ReplyDelete