Monday, September 6, 2010

Hang up in the meal plan

So, day 1, 2 & 3 of my dinner plan went well. Day 4 Greg worked really late so the kids and I ate the leftover Taco Pizza from Day 3. Day 5 was spent helping our best friends move (closer to us - hooray!) and they bought dinner. We did have one of the meals on Sunday afternoon. After sleeping in and realizing that we had no milk or eggs to make anything remotely breakfast-y, I decided to break out the smoked sausage, rice and peas. No recipe or pretty pictures there. The sausage was just heated until done in a pan. The peas were plain, old frozen peas with salt and butter. The rice was from a packet at Kroger.
However, I still have the makings for several batches of Spaghetti Pie ready to roll. Hopefully the HH (Handy Hamburger) that I cooked on Monday is still OK, when I finally get around to making the Spaghetti Pie...hopefully tomorrow. If not, then I will have wasted TWO batches of hamburger and might just throw in the towel on this whole dinner plan thing!!! See?!?! Even "Martha Jr.", as I've affectionately been called, has her not-so-Martha-Jr. moments!!! Actually, I have a LOT of them!

This week's menu is supposed to include:
Chicken and Noodles
Southwest Chicken Soup
Meat Loaf
Crab Salad
Sausage Gravy & Biscuits

I went to the grocery today and bought everything for these meals. The only things that I bought that weren't on the list were staples, like milk, bread and butter, brownie mix, because it was on sale for a buck and some ice cream for the kids, which they earned by not getting their name on the board all week! And the total was only $70! Not bad for 5 solid meals. I'm sure people out there could do it for cheaper but I'm pretty proud. Oh yah, I got dog food too, so the total was actually $106 (can't make it out of the grocery w/o spending over $100!) but since $37 of that was the dog food, I'm sticking with the $70 total for the food.

We'll see how the week goes and which meals end up on which days. I have a feeling that the Spaghetti Pie will be tomorrow night and I'll have to make meatloaf on Wednesday so the hamburger doesn't go bad. And, oh yah, I just realized that today was Monday (Labor Day) so, I'm already getting behind on my week. Maybe we'll actually come home to eat after church next Sunday. Nah! I'll just make the sausage gravy and biscuits for Saturday brunch. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment