Sunday, December 12, 2010

Part old, part new made to look old



This grate was in the ceiling of the kitchen in our house. It was covered over by the drop ceiling that the previous owners had installed and that we ripped out. Back in the day, it must have been how heat got from downstairs to upstairs. I'm guessing that it didn't work so well!!!
Greg took it down before he installed the new ceiling (Yes, I have an awesome husband who can do that sort of thing. Installing new ceilings, that is. Not taking down old grates. Ha!)
I was looking at it the other day, thinking that it would look really cool with something in front of it. So, I set it aside, with plans to make it cool some day. That day came sooner than expected.
When my girlfriends were over for the ornament exchange, I showed them the grate and told them about my plan, when suddenly I remembered a cross that I bought for $3 a few days earlier. It was black, which wouldn't work over top of the dark grate. Someone suggested that I paint it cream and scuff it up to make it look old. That's exactly what I did. Did you know that a nail file works just as well as sandpaper when you want to "antique" something but don't want to walk out to the garage in the cold? This picture is before antiquing.

I LOVE how it turned out. The more of this repurposed old stuff that I add to my house, the more I fall in love with it.


Here is it's new home in my home!

2 comments: