Thursday, December 23, 2010

Teacher gifts



I had so much fun making teacher gifts this year! It started with the little Post-it Note thingie.

Then I decided to make some caramel corn. I was going to put it in bags, but kept forgetting to buy them when I was out. I had 3 oat containers on hand because I was supplying reindeer food for all 3 of the kids classes, so I improvised and turned them into containers for the caramel corn. It was fun to decorate them.
I started by cutting the containers in half. Then I cut verticle lines up the top half of the container so that it would nest inside the bottom half. The top half has that rolled over part that secures the lid.

After getting the containers the right size, it was just a matter of covering them with paper, ribbon and embellishments. I made a third, but I guess I forgot to take a picture of it.

Decorated hand sanitizer bottles were also included. Although this gift was more for the kids, I'm sure the teacher appreciates the killing of germs too! To make these, there's really only one tricky part - start with a bottle with smooth sides. A lot of bottles are funky shaped. These are from the Dollar Tree and are straight all around. Well, the front bumps out and the back bumps in, but it's still a flat surface to glue the paper to. After that, just use your imagination and make them fun. I had some black paper with silver guitars and thought that "clean hands ROCK!" was the perfect saying to pair up with it. My kids LOVE SpongeBob and they really liked that bottle too. I just used an image from the internet and cropped it to fit the size that I needed. I tried to come up with a third idea so that they'd all be different, but the creative juices must have been running low at that point.



Here's the reason that I had so many oats. The pile is for 1 of the classes. The other 2 classes chose to make the packets as an activity during the party. It's oats and some type of glitter. You can use cake sprinkles or actual glitter. This year I had purchased some blizzard snow for the captured snowflake ornament that I made, so I just used the left overs from that.

I've seen these done in several different ways. One way is to fold a paper lunch sack so that the top is a triangle. Then fold it more than halfway over so that the triangle point faces down. This becomes the nose of a reindeer face. Then you staple "antlers" made of sticks or pipe cleaners on each side at the fold. Add some eyes and it's all set. I go the snack baggie route because they are a lot cheaper and easier to work with...especially when you're making 60!


And, of course, the most awesome gift of all. I took a picture of each kid in the class and turned them into paper ball ornaments. To get them all the right size, I used photo editing software and cropped the faces into a 2.5" circle. I printed them on heavy paper/untextured card stock and then cut out the face circles for the ornament. The rest of it went together just like a regular paper ball ornament. The only tricky part is making sure that all the faces are "up". So, 10 of the 20 triangles should have the folded point at the top of the face and the other 10 should have the folded point at the bottom of the face. 5 "top points" make the top. 5 "bottom points" make the bottom. The remaining 10 alternate to make the middle ring.

Lastly, I added one of the felt Santa ornaments that I made and I had the kids and myself each write their teachers a note of thanks. All the websites say that's what teachers treasure the most...and one of ours confirmed it.

Here's the finished product. I got the baskets at the Dollar Tree and added a bow to the front. I wish I would have gotten a different size basket because everything didn't quite fit right into these and it didn't display as nicely as I'd hoped, but oh well.

So, all in all, I think I spent:
$1 per basket
$1 per sanitizer
$.50 per post-it set
maybe $1 each for the caramel corn supplies
$0 for the paper and ribbon - it came from my stash!

So, less than $5, but a whole lot of time and love went into them. I appreciate my kids' teachers and I hope these gifts help show that!

This is what my crafting area/dining room looks like when I'm done!

1 comment:

  1. I want to be just like you when I grow up.....Wait I'm older than you. lol

    ReplyDelete